February 11, 2014

My Wondrous Word Dilemmas

As usual, I am joining in with BermudaOnion's delightful meme, Wondrous Word Wednesdays, although this week, I did not encounter any words with which I was previously unfamiliar in my reading. Since that is the case, I decided to immortalize for myself (and all others interested) the definitions of some words that I have seen or heard countless times, but never manage to remember what they actually mean. I hope you all find this list helpful, as well.

~obstreperous--

"1. attended by, or making, a loud and tumultuous noise; boisterous
2. stubbornly defiant; disobedient; resistant to authority or control, whether in a noisy manner or not"

I astonished myself by actually spelling this word correctly the first time I tried typing it into Wiktionary!

~abstemious--

"1. sparing in diet; refraining from a free use of food and strong drinks; temperate; abstinent; sparing in the indulgence of the appetite or passions.
2. sparingly used; used with temperance or moderation.
3. marked by, or spent in, abstinence... ."

This one was embarrassingly obvious, once I'd read the answer.

~laconic--

"1. using as few words as possible; pithy and concise."

Apparently, we have the Spartans to thank for this one, because "Laconia was the region inhabited by and ruled by the Spartans, who were known for their brevity in speech" and their pared down version of pretty much everything in life.

Happy reading, and carry on wording!

7 comments:

  1. Hey - I actually knew two of the words! I'm not as vocabulary challenged as I thought I was. Have a good rest of the week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been able to associate abstemious with abstain and get that word right. The other two give me trouble, too! Your story behind laconic might help me remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those first two are mouthfuls! I understand their meaning but don't think I could ever slip them into a casual converstation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Laconic had something to do with Sparta! Thanks for confirming. I also needed the insight into obstreperous, so thanks for doing the dirty work. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Your last commenter hit the nail on the head with her comment.

    I am definitely height challenged; weight challenged; and yes! although I hate to admit it age challenged; so I might as well come clean and add vocabularily challenged to the list, even though I sent up a cheer when I knew all of your words this week!!

    I really must work that phrase into one of my WWW posts someday,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only knew one word, laconic, thanks! for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...