November 04, 2012

Seeking Courage

Well, folks, Friday certainly proved to be an eventful end to my week.  I finally had my appointment with the new gynecologist recommended by my family doctor, and all I can say is, thank God that there are still doctors in the world who actually listen to their patients, and believe that those patients have some idea what is going on in their own bodies! My new doctor took me seriously, listened carefully to everything I had to say, and gave me some rather sobering news--we're probably looking at a large, invasive surgery in the near future. Though that is serious news, it is also EXCELLENT news, in my opinion, if we really have finally found the source of my phantom pain and are going to take decisive action to free me of it!

First off, more of the interminable tests.  The doctors all suspect endometriosis at this point; I have to go in and have an ultrasound Tuesday, to see exactly how bad things have gotten and--hopefully--to verify or disprove that theory.  Depending on what the ultrasound reveals, I may have a hysterectomy before the end of November.  A lot going on, a lot to think about and process, and I'm having many different reactions to all of this from moment to moment, as you might well imagine.  I'm more thankful now than ever that God gave Michael and me our little SuperToddler, and that she is flourishing and healthy, for there will be no more children in our future.  Still, we three form a happy little family, and we are truly blessed.

Image by Robert Diedrichs

Turning to less somber news, some exciting things are coming to The Beauty of Eclecticism.  I wanted to give you the health update in this post, and let you know that there may be a brief interruption in posting if I go into the hospital for surgery, and of course, have to spend some time afterwards recuperating.  But the now-famous list for My Re-Education Reading Challenge 2013 is complete, and I'll be posting more information about it shortly.  Also, there will soon be a regular feature involving the art of a dear friend of mine, who has agreed to hold a weekly showing of one of her works here on my blog.  I know--doesn't that just sound impressively high-class?!  We're pretty excited about it, and hope that all of you will enjoy it, as well.  Exciting things await you, so stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot to take in! If endo is your diagnosis, then as far as I can tell you're lucky to have found someone to take it seriously so soon and agree to the exploratory surgery etc. Best wishes on tackling this difficult issue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I've heard, too, horror stories about women not getting doctors to take this as seriously as they should, being very reticent about doing surgery. They mostly want to keep injecting you with hormone therapy and see if they can fix it that way. My issues are such that any reasonable doctor has to consider surgery, so I'm glad I was able to find one who is reasonable!

      Delete
    2. I didn't realise it was hard to get a hysterectomy done over there. Where I'm from, if one has serious issues with the uterus one gets it out. My aunt was in the for this very surgery only last week. Apparently she hadn't much pain, but x rays showed big growths in the uterus and they immediately had the hysterectomy.

      Delete
  2. Am glad to hear you're close to finding out the source of all your pain! I hope everything turns out well and you'll finally be free of it all. God bless you and your loved ones through this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It means so much to me to have fellow bloggers, people who don't even know me but still you guys support and care about me. It's been a real blessing.

      Delete
  3. P.S. Am really looking forward to your list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! *eyes twinkling like a four-year-old's on Christmas morning* It turned out to be a great list. The hardest part now will be waiting until January to start on it!

      Delete
    2. Oh! I feel like rubbing my hands in excited glee!

      Delete
  4. I am in total sympathy with you on your phantom pain issues! I'm a year and a half out after my hysterectomy for endometriosis and other fun related stuff. The third surgery wound up being the charm. I hope everything goes well for you and they get your pain taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Bev, I had no idea you've been dealing with the exact same issues! I'll certainly keep everyone posted as things progress, and I may be seeking your advice occasionally, if you don't mind, since you've just been through this.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...