March 07, 2012

February Medieval Summary

"And God bless us, every one."

Giving whole new meaning to the phrase "better LATE than never," I am finally posting the February update for the 2012 Medieval Challenge.  My apologies, gang.  If I can ever manage to get all three members of this household healthy at the same time, and keep it that way for more than two weeks, these kinds of delays will hopefully become a thing of the past.


Anyway, on with the show.  I DID actually manage to read a medieval volume in the month of February, that fascinating (if bizarre), rip-roaring Arthurian adventure, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (click for my review).  Of course, this means that I have eliminated the tiniest little work on my medieval TO DO list first, and only that one so far, while I've been rapidly whittling away at most of my other reading challenges.  This sort of behavior cannot be allowed to continue, because we all know where it would lead--all other challenges finished by June and six months of unrelieved medievalism stretching out before me.  So, I must tackle one of the weightier tomes in May.  I think I'll make it The Alexiad, a book I've owned for years and never yet attempted.

In the meantime, keep us up to date on how your medieval triumphs are mounting!  Did you surpass your own expectations?  Are you sinking in the slough of Despond?  We want to hear all about it.

1 comment:

  1. I read The Romance of the Rose! And golly what a slog it was after the good bit by Guillaume de Lorris.

    I'm now well into The Book of the City of Ladies, and loving it. I finished Book I last night.

    I tried to read the Alexiad once. I didn't do too well. I plan to try again though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...