March 07, 2012

Stopping By Quickly on a Quiet Morning

(with apologies to Robert Frost)


Oh, I've been too long absent from Wondrous Words Wednesdays!  An absolutely delightful meme, that fell by the wayside, I'm afraid, in the midst of my life's craziness, and I am determined to return to it faithfully, with renewed verve.  Today's post is just a brief pit stop, with only one interesting word to share, but there will be MANY others next week, as those of you who've read my "Word" posts in times past can attest.  This week, I have the following for you.

-obloquy--Did you even know that English HAD a one-word term for verbal abuse, and for the attendant state of shame in which its long-term sufferers must live?  Neither did I until yesterday.  I encountered this one in The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans, so I don't think it requires much imagination to figure out where he was going with that one, who the perpetrators or the victims of said abuse were.  It's a fascinating book, if very somber.

Anyway, happy word spelunking, fellow readers!

3 comments:

  1. I had to look up how to pronounce obloquy. It's a word I hope I don't have much opportunity to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, I've missed your posts, they're always so interesting. That sounds a very serious tome to be occupying your mind. I've never heard of your word before either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a boss who practiced obloguy. Fortunately, I didn't have to work for him for long. So glad to hear you are coming back to Wondrous Words. I love the meme too. To me it's like playing a game.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...