October 29, 2011

Invasion of the Brain-Eaters

YO GABBA GABBA ate my brain.


Are you a mom?  Have your children yet discovered the show called "Yo Gabba Gabba" on Nick, Jr.?  (Apparently, Nickelodeon wasn't juvenile enough to tap into that all-important 0-4 demographic.  VOILA!  Nick, Jr.)  If you answered yes to the above questions, then you feel my pain, and I need not explain it to you; you can just hang out and commiserate with me through this post.

For those unfamiliar with this especial form of toddler delight/adult torture, let me give you a quick run-down, though the experience is so bizarre that no verbal description can do it justice.  This live-action show, with heinous wigs, outrageous clothes, ridiculous costumes, and "stupid human tricks," is basically a manga comic for toddlers sprung to life on my TV screen.  The music is not exactly a symphony, but what it lacks in quality, it certainly more than makes up for with repetition.  Over, and over, and OVER, they repeat THE SAME FOUR OR FIVE WORDS, AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN!!!


Okay, deep breath...I think I'm all right now.  The part--I can't decide if it's the best part or the worst part--is that my Brigid the SuperToddler actually seems to learn from this show.  How could you NOT learn anything that is repeated to you 15 times per episode?  So, "Yo Gabba Gabba" is apparently here to stay in our house for a while.  Hello, DJ Lance (master of ceremonies to this madness).  Good-bye, Mommy's brain.  I'll miss you.

2 comments:

  1. I DON'T have cable. GRANDMA has cable, you see; that's how this insidious business first got introduced into our lives. What I have is streaming Netflix.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...