October 16, 2011

Maud Hart Lovelace Update

As regular readers will know from a recent post, I have been playing along with the 3rd-Annual Maud Hart Lovelace reading challenge hosted by Sarah at A Library is a Hospital for the Mind, and though I got a slow start because I had to read a few other things first, I am having a fabulous time now reading Betsy-Tacy and Tib.

These three girls manage to get themselves into the most extraordinary messes I have ever encountered!  Even Anne had too much sense to wind up in some of these "scrapes".  And bless their hearts, they nearly always create these catastrophes out of the very best or most innocent of intentions.  It's a miracle their mothers survived the girls' childhood.  Maybe that's why I like them so much; my own mother's survival of my escapades the year I turned 4 required some kind of divine intervention, I'm sure.

My favorite scene thus far has been the moment at which Betsy, Tacy and Tib, entrusted for the first time in their young lives with the running of the household for one afternoon, decided to cook.  I cannot tell you any more than that without creating spoilers, but I got a much-needed laugh out of the adventure!  These three girls are good for whatever ails you, I promise.

" 'I don't know how to cook," said Betsy.  "But I think it's time I learned.' "

Image courtesy of the
Greater New York Chapter of the Betsy-Tacy Society

1 comment:

  1. Great post! So glad you're enjoying the challenge. Good luck with the upcoming give-aways. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...