November 03, 2011

5 Minutes of Memory

It's that time of the week again when I join up with The Gypsy Mama, along with many other fellow travelers, for 5-Minute Friday.  This week's prompt word is "Remember," and I'm so glad it is, because it falls in line beautifully with something that happened to me yesterday.  I'm beginning at 10:50 p.m., hoping to write for five uninterrupted minutes, and here we go.


When I was a little girl, during one of the two brief stints that my family and I spent living in Brooksville, Florida, my mother and I discovered a beautiful, wondrous place called The Christmas House.  It was a collection of five Victorian-era houses, all bought by one family, and coverted into a business.  Each house had a theme, and all the themes centered around Christmas.  I cannot possibly describe to you the beauty, the wonder, of the house that contained spun glass decorations and miniature china dolls outfitted to be hung on a tree, or the home-spun delight of the house that featured calico stuffed animals and wooden decorations.  It was a magical place, especially for a ten-year-old.

Yesterday, I thought about The Christmas House, which I hadn't done in years, and decided to look it up online.  To my horror and sorrow, I discovered it had to close in 2010.  For a moment, I felt almost as if I had lost my mother (who died in January of this year) all over again.  And then a tidal wave of memories flooded over me, the delightful little ways that Mom and I used to spend our precious weekend free time together--going to libraries, going to The Christmas House in June, swimming, laughing, eating at our favorite restaurants.  I spent a few minutes enjoying the memories of some of my favorite times with each of my parents, both gone now.

Sometimes, my sorrow and grief feel as if they will suffocate me.  But then I am rescued by memory, and find the strength to try and build sweet memories with my own little girl.  May she remember as many golden days as I do.

Photo of Rogers' Christmas House Village
Courtesy of Joshua P. Hanoud

5 comments:

  1. Ohhh, precious. I know too, when special childhood things are gone, it seems it's hard to share with others, and another part of us gone. Thank you for sharing this special memory!

    Remembering with you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see all the Christmas decorations sparkling in the light, and can feel the special closeness you and your mom shared. May your journey through grief be full of pauses of wonderful memories...and may the memories be healing balms to your recovering heart. Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. Now I've started to cry! I was so going to go look up The Christmas House before I finished the first paragraph... but then I read on.:(
    But when I did, I saw what you said, and I am right there with you, sister.
    Here's hoping for both of us...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's moments like this one that make me glad that I live in a day of modern technology. How cool that you could do an internet search for The Christmas House and find something on it--and with pics? You can show your daughter :)

    Enjoy your memory making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad that The Christmas House had to shut down. :( Sorry about your mom! I'm so glad you're making positive memories with your own daughter. It's so important. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...