November 30, 2011

December 2011

Photo by Kris De Curtis
Welcome, one and all, to the Christmas edition of the "Read Your OWN Library!" Challenge.  What's so Christmas-ish about this particular installment?  Well, this is December, and isn't this picture of a Christmas ornament beautiful?  So there you go.

For those who are new to this perpetual challenge, we're thrilled to have you along!  Please tell us a little about how you got buried so deeply beneath your own library of unread books.  Let us know which level of the challenge you're signing on for, and which book you're requiring yourself to finish before December gives way to 2012.  Henceforward, you can link up a new post at the beginning of each month, reporting how you did, and what you'll read next.  Returning readers, welcome back!  How did November go, and what are you planning on reading in December?

As for me, I squeaked my way through my assigned book for November--a non-fiction work on Egyptology called Red Land, Black Land--with only hours to spare before I ran out of November in which to read it.  I DID conquer it, however, and it now lies in my Victory Garden.  I must confess, I feel pretty pleased with myself.  You can read my full review of the book here, but the short version is that I really enjoyed it, and recommed it to anyone who is interested in ancient Egypt.  If that very specific subfield of non-fiction isn't a major fascination for you, then you might want to skip this one.

Regarding my required reading for December: I don't know about you, but there's quite a lot going on in my non-internet life as well as in my corner of the blogosphere this month!  I think a little good old-fashioned double-dipping is the order of the day.  I'm going to rely on my book from The Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge--The Chimes, by Charles Dickens--which also meets the requirements of "Read Your OWN Library," so isn't that helpful?  Can't wait to hear from you all!

7 comments:

  1. I read The Shining right at the beginning of November, so it threw me off that I'm just adding it to the linky now! Next up is Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My awesomeness has been fully added! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I just came back here and your blog is so pretty! I love the holiday decorations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red Land, Black Land is a great book - I should really reread it, but I have a huge TBR Pile that I am determined to clear in 2012, so maybe after that :-) Great idea for a perpetual challenge, I think I will have to join you in this - it's one of my goals for 2012 for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have added my link for November's book which was excellent reading.
    December's choice is The Progress of Julius by Daphne du Maurier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to join in one this challenge one month. I'm just not sure this is the month! I am already challenging myself to read all non-fiction for the month of December, which is always slower reading for me. And I have several review copies sitting on my table that need to be read before I can start anything else. Maybe next month? I have a big stack of books in my spare bedroom that I want to read that have been in boxes for years already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassandra, jump in any time that works for you. That's one reason I've made this a perpetual challenge--that, and the fact that since I keep buying books, I have to constantly chip away at the backlog, or I'll never dig my way out from under it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...